Apple continued its development drive relating to its in-testing software updates – this week, seeding the third betas of iOS 10.2, Sierra 10.12.2, tvOS 10.1 and watchOS 3.1.1 to developers.
Perhaps the most notable addition across the collection of updates lies in the introduction of Apple’s official ‘TV’ app, which is now present in tvOS 10.1 (Beta 3) for Apple TV users in the U.S.
Set to see its official launch this December, the U.S-only app will mark yet another addition in Apple’s ultimate vision for the future of television rooted in apps – as the firm now strives to package up all that available content, into one seamless and unified Netflix–esque experience.
Our friends over at MacRumors went hands-on with the new app offering, providing a first video look at just what we can expect …
Check it out, above!
The latest build of tvOS also includes the following:
• Use Up Next to see the movies and TV shows you’re currently watching and pick up where you left off
• Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
• Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
• Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals
“The apps available in the Store tab of the TV app are some of the ones that can be tested now and will be updated periodically as developers add TV app support for their apps,” iClarified notes.
Here’s what else is new in Apple’s latest developer-only updates.
iOS 10.2 (Beta 3)
– SOS functionality
– Videos now replaced by new TV app
– New section added to Settings for TV
– Setting added to prevent playback over cellular for TV content
– You can now also set the default for purchases to either HD or SD
Sierra 10.12.2 (Beta 3)
– improves stability, compatibility, and security
watchOS 3.1.1 (Beta 3)
– contains bug fixes and other improvements
Download the updates from the Developer Center.